You’ve counted off the days on your calendar, and the big day is coming soon: the day that your braces will be coming off! Although you’re probably super excited about being able to finally eat chewy candy and whole apples again, you might be a little worried: will losing those braces hurt? Luckily, there’s a YouTube video that will show you the step-by-step process that your orthodontist will use to remove those braces once and for all!
(And thanks to the folks at Alther Orthodontics for the stills from this awesome video!)
- First, the orthodontist pops the brackets off each of your teeth one at a time with a special tool called a bracket cutter. This doesn’t hurt at all, by the way.
- Now the orthodontist does the same thing to the lower set.
- Now, the orthodontist drills off the adhesive that held the brackets to your teeth. Although this may feel a little strange, this doesn’t hurt either.
- Your braces are off! But your orthodontic journey isn’t over yet. To keep your teeth straight, you’re going to need to wear a retainer for a while. Luckily, there’s lots of colors to choose from.
- The orthodontist will take impressions of your teeth to fit you for your retainer…
- And that’s it! However, it’s REALLY important that you wear your retainer according to your orthodontist’s instructions. If you don’t, you may need to get braces again sometime down the road…and nobody wants that!